DCMI Standards Community
|Name:||DCMI Standards Community|
|Type:||Community Interest Group|
|Charter:||The DCMI Standards Community is forum for individuals involved in various standardization efforts to keep in touch with each other and to monitor the development of the Dublin Core as national and international standard. The mailing list of the community also acts as information channel for issues related to the function of DCMI as Maintenance Agency for ISO 15836 and ANSI/NISO Z39.85.|
International standard ISO 15836
DCMI has responsibility for information about:
ISO 15836:2009 Information and documentation - The Dublin Core™ metadata element set
The responsible committee is TC 46 - Information and Documentation SC 4 - Technical Interoperability.
The ISO standard has been revised based on the 2007 revision of ANSI/NISO Z39.85 (see below). One formal change is that the standard does not now have a Maintenance Agency (see Official information about ISO 15836).
ISO 15836:2009 was published on 18 February 2009 as a revision of ISO 15836:2003.
Leif Andresen is the DCMI representative to the ISO/TC46/SC4.
US national standard Z39.85
DCMI is Maintenance Agency for:
Leif Andresen is the DCMI representative to the NISO.
In August 2007, a new IETF RFC, RFC5013: The Dublin Core™ Metadata Element Set was published to replace IETF RFC2413: Dublin Core™ Metadata for Resource Discovery of September 1998.
John Kunze is the DCMI representative to the IETF Secretariat.
To join or leave:
- Date constituted: 1998-11-04
- Breakout meeting, 2001-10-23: DC9 and DCMI Standards Group: Z39.85 and what then?
- Working Group Report, 2002-09-16
Report of the DCMI Standards Working Group
- Standardisation of Dublin Core™ - Additional initiatives?, 2002-10-07
Discussion paper for Meeting in DCMI Standards Working Group at DC-2002 on Thursday October 17, 2002 in Florence, Italy is now available for review.
- DCMI Element Set standard approved as ISO Standard, 2003-04-04
As reported early February the Dublin Core™ Metadata Element Set standard has been approved as ISO Standard. You will find the final text of the standard and the balloting report, including the response to comments, on the SC 4 document log on the ISO TC46/SC website: http://www.niso.org/international/SC4/sc4docs.html. The documents are:
N 515: ISO 15836 The Dublin Core™ Metadata Element Set
N 514: Report of voting on DIS 15836
- Minutes from WG-meeting 12 September 2005
- Evolving role for DCMI Standards Working Group (after DC-2005)
- Update August 2006
- ISO TC46/SC4 meeting May 2008: Report of the Dublin Core™ Maintenance Agency April 2007 to April 2008 to ISO TC46/SC4 meeting of 22 May 2008.
MMI-DC has produced several specifications, which you can download from MMI-DC website. MMI-DC stopped its activities in beginning of 2005. CWA is a CEN Workshop Agreement:
- CWA14855 - Dublin Core™ Application Profile guidelines
- CWA15244 - General guidance for the deployment of Dublin Core™ metadata
- CWA15248 - Guidelines for machine-processable representation of Dublin Core™ Application Profiles
- CWA15249 - Guidance for naming, versioning, evolution and maintenance of element declarations and Application Profiles
MMI-DC: Special session at DC-2005: Metadata in eGovernment, Geospatial and Environmental Domains