This document represents consensus reached by the Registry Working group on the requirements for a DCMI Registry. It is a brief outline which may be filled out in future after discussion with developers of the registry software, and after feedback from the Architecture WG and the Usage WG.
The following requirements are recommended for implementation in Phase One:
Other requirements to be phased in, priority as indicated:
- To link to authoritative translations of DC element and qualifier names and definitions.
- To register DC recommended domain specific 'application profiles' e.g. the DCMI Education group application profile
Priority to be established:
- To register authoritative mappings and crosswalks between DC and other metadata sets (e.g. ONIX, MARC etc.)
- To provide information on deployment (e.g. which services are using particular domain specific extensions)
- To provide links to best practice, guidelines for use (perhaps link into the user guide?)
To enable implementors to submit proposed extensions and application profiles.
In order to express DC elements and qualifiers in RDF there needs to be a decision on the namespace model for DC, in particular we will need to use a URL for each element and qualifier and scheme registered. For various reasons DC elements and qualifiers are now declared as separate namespaces, as are DC schemes and controlled lists. We need clarification on agreed practice regarding DC namespaces from the DC Architecture WG
In order to clarify process of assigning 'status' to DC qualifiers, recommended schemes, domain specific extensions we need advice from the Usage Committee
Development work on the DCMI Registry software is currently undertaken at OCLC. Work on multilingual aspects is being taken forward at ULIS, Tokyo.