DCMI Standards Community
Update August 2006
Since the responsibility for Maintenance Agency activities was turned over
to the Directorate after DC-2005, the only task on the 2006 work plan was to
work on guidelines for national standardization. A call was sent out for contributions
from people with experience, but only a single contribution from one country
was received and more are needed. Some follow-up activities didn't give more
contributions. The Working Group chair considers other options.
Update of standard activities:
- We have agreed with NISO about the 5 year review of “ANSI/NISO Z39.85
- Dublin Core™ Metadata Element Set – 2001”. DCMI will deliver a proposal for a revised standard for a ballot process in NISO in December
- This revised text of DCMES is under preparation in DCMI Usage Board and is planned to be send for review in the community before DC-2006 so it can be completed at the UB meeting in connection with DC-2006. I will send a message to the list when the UB proposal is ready.
- The ISO standard - ISO 15836:2003 Information and documentation - The Dublin Core metadata element set - have to go for 5 year review not later than 2008 – and the plan and agreement with the (now former) secretariat for ISO TC46/SC4 was to run this review bases on the result of the NISO review.
- The European metadata workshop MMI-DC under CEN’s auspices has had no activities this year.