innovation in metadata design, implementation & best practices

Version: Tue Mar 14 13:37:58 WEST 2006
Identifier: http://dublincore.org/usage/minutes/html/2006-03-16.ub-telecon-agenda.html
UB log: http://dublincore.org/usage/minutes/html/index.html

          Usage Board telecon - Draft agenda
          2006-03-16 Thu 1400 UTC (1500 Berlin, 0600 Seattle, 2300 Tokyo)

          See dialing instructions below
          For IRC, type "/join #UB" on the chat line at:
          -- <a href="irc://irc.ukoln.ac.uk/">irc://irc.ukoln.ac.uk/</a> or
          -- <a href="http://dev.ukoln.ac.uk/irc">http://dev.ukoln.ac.uk/irc</a>

Regrets: Andy (?)

HOT ISSUES

-- Finalizing the revised DCSV specifications (Tom, Andrew)

2006-03-13. Public comment period was held Feb 13 to Mar 15 [1]. Mikael Nilsson was asked to review the revised specs. Mikael's comments, along with a relevant posting from Pete on dc-accessibility, are summarized in [2]. These comments refer to the version of the DCMI DCSV spec posted for public comment on Feb 13, which Tom has now taken into account in a further edited version. In the Mar 16 telecon, everyone should please re-read the comments [2] and carefully check the corresponding sections in [4] -- specifically, the three last paragraphs of the Introduction (starting with "As of 2006") and the entire Section 3 ("DCSV syntax encoding schemes").

[1] http://dublincore.org/news/communications/public-comment.shtml [2] http://stage.dublincore.org/usageboard/2006/2006-02.dcsv/2006-03-13.comment-period-followup.html. [3] http://dublincore.org/documents/2006/02/13/dcmi-dcsv/ [4] http://stage.dublincore.org/usageboard/2006/2006-02.dcsv/2006-04-10.dcmi-dcsv.shtml

-- Changes to terms in the ELEMENTS1.1 namespace (Tom, Andy, Andrew) http://stage.dublincore.org/usageboard/2006/2006-01.definitions/term-changes/

ACTION Andrew 2006-02-23 -- This document is currently being edited by Andrew. Tom suggests that Andrew edit this document in place using Subversion to avoid another conversion to/from the Wiki. -- Andrew is comparing the draft against what was decided in Madrid: http://stage.dublincore.org/usageboard/2006/2006-01.definitions/2005-09-10.meeting-notes-excerpts.html -- Aside from polishing the text explaining the changes in the above, an announcement giving overall context for the comment period on dc-general needs to be finalized, see first draft at http://stage.dublincore.org/usageboard/2006/2006-01.definitions/2005-09-21.diane-context-for-changes.txt (maybe move this draft into the Wiki).

2006-03-13. Note that the dc:language issue - see http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0602&L=dc-usage&P=601. is within the scope of this document. Is RFC 3066 dated in its approach to 2- and 3-letter language codes?

-- Changes to terms in the DCTERMS namespace (Diane) http://dublincore.org/usageboardwiki/TermChanges

2006-03-13. As decided on 2006-02-23, Tom split off any changes to terms in the DCTERMS namespace into a separate document and placed it in the Wiki. Obviously, this document needs to be re-formatted; Tom asks for suggestions on how to do this efficiently.

ACTION 2006-02-23: Diane to consider changes to Date refinements and other terms in the DCTERMS namespace.

2006-03-13. Note: -- Added changed "See:" reference for dcterms:URI -- Added changed label for dcterms:alternative -- Someone should check for spelling consistency: organisation/organization (prefer the latter). -- dcterms:educationLevel needs a better definition, see http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0503&L=DC-USAGE&P=5380

-- DCMI property domains and ranges (Andy) http://dublincore.org/architecturewiki/DCPropertyDomainsRanges

2006-03-13. Andy has been working on this and proposes that we put it on the agenda for Seattle.

-- Vocabulary of Domain and Range Classes (Andy) http://dublincore.org/architecturewiki/DCPropertyDomainsRanges

2006-03-13. Andy's DCPropertyDomainsRanges draft (see above) uses 30-40 "possible classes" as proposed domains and ranges for all DCMI properties. For the domains and ranges to be declared machine-readably, these classes would presumably need to be defined, approved, given URIs, and maintained. Giving them URIs would involve either expanding the DCMI Type Vocabulary or creating a new Vocabulary. Creating a new Vocabulary would involve revising the DCMI Namespace Policy. Giving them definitions would presumably also involve deciding on a style for definitions that is consistent between the DCMI Type Vocabulary and this new Domain-Range Vocabulary:

-- Current DCMI Type Style: "A service is a system that provides..." -- DCMI Type Style, Renaud style: "A resource which is a system..." [2] -- Domain-Range Vocabulary style: "The class of all services..." [1]

-- Replicating ELEMENTS1.1 terms in the DCTERMS namespace (Tom)

SIMMERING ISSUES

-- Finalizing DCMI Type Vocabulary after the comment period (Stuart)

2006-03-13. A public comment period was held from 8 Dec to 31 Jan on http://dublincore.org/usage/public-comment/2005/12/type-vocabulary-changes/. The responses have been summarized in http://stage.dublincore.org/usage/public-comment/2006/03/type-vocabulary-comments/.

-- Review of application profiles - documentation (Tom) http://dublincore.org/usage/meetings/2005/09/profile-review/

ACTION 2006-01-26: Tom to propose draft "suite" for discussion - which parts are "appendices", which are stand-alone, etc.

-- Review of application profiles - profiles -- Simple Dublin Core ACTION 2006-01-26: Tom to prepare for discussion in Seattle -- Collection Description - will not be ready for Seattle - planned for Mexico, see: http://dublincore.org/groups/collections/ http://homes.ukoln.ac.uk/~lispj/dc-cd/rep200602.html -- Agents: will be ready by Mexico http://dublincore.org/groups/agents/ -- Libraries http://dublincore.org/groups/libraries/

-- DCMI Documentation Roadmap (Tom)

ACTION 2006-01-26: Tom to make available for discussion at mid-year meeting ACTION 2006-02-09: DCMI Recommendations are taken to be "recommended by DCMI". Is this the right message, and does it hamper progress? Time for a re-think? Tom to consider in context of Roadmap - everyone to provide suggestions.

-- DCMI position paper for RDA review http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0602&L=dc-usage&P=2056 http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0602&L=dc-general&P=769

-- Wikipedia article on Dublin Core (Diane) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Core

ACTION 2006-02-23: Diane to work on Wikipedia article; put on agenda for Seattle.

-- Revised process document (Stuart and Diane) http://dublincore.org/usage/documents/process/

2006-03-13. Stuart and Diane to lead discussion in Seattle (30 minutes?). One issue: UB voting procedure.

-- Preparation for UB mid-year meeting, Seattle, Apr 29-30 (Stuart) Stuart to report on local arrangements, http://www.watertownseattle.com/

2006-03-13. Everyone should be purchasing their tickets now and confirming your dates of arrival/departure with Stuart.

BACK BURNER -- Issues related to dc:date -- Accessibility application profile -- dcam-text syntax-neutral notation http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/metadata/dcmi/dc-text/ -- Wiki versus Subversion for UB document management -- DCAM Text - http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/metadata/dcmi/dcam-text/2006-01-13/


Scheduled UB Telecons (see also http://www.worldtimeserver.com/) 2006-03-23 Thu 1400 UTC = 1500 Berlin = 0600 Seattle = 2300 Tokyo

2006-03-30 Thu 1400 UTC = 1600 BERLIN = 0600 Seattle = 2300 Tokyo

Dialing instructions 1) Dial: local country number (http://www.sprintbiz.com/intlaudio) -- Germany 0800-181-2311 -- UK 0800-032-0634 -- Japan 00531-13-0842 "KDD Only" -- US 888-448-7101 -- US 888-448-7101 2) Outside the US, you hear: "Welcome... Please enter your 10-digit..." Type: 888-448-7101# 3) You hear: "Please enter..."

Type: 764-6081#

IRC: Note that port 6667 needs to be open between your client and the server. Your firewall may need to be opened slightly and/or port-blocking settings in your virus/security tool may need to be changed. You can always re-set your nickname with "/nick YourName".

2009-01-29: Changed usageboard/log URIs to usage/minutes URIs.